Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Liking the Bad Guy?

EDITED: A few readers pointed out some flaws in my thinking. I thank them for doing so and have edited my post accordingly. Hopefully the edited version clarifies my thoughts. 

Dear Reader,

I have noticed a very disturbing trend lately.


I was talking to some acquaintances of mine about a movie that had come out. When we were talking about favorite characters, almost all of them told me that they liked the villain.

I was shocked. And I asked, "How can you like the villain? He did so many bad things in the movie, like lying/cheating/killing people/etc."

Their response?

"He is just misunderstood."

Misunderstood. Seriously?

The funny thing is... they don't mind dating the villain if the person existed in real life.

Basically, the trend of liking bad guys is rising. We are seeing this not only with fictional villains, but also with real life people.

Personally, I think that this is a perversion of normal behavior. Normally, you don't like the bad guy in a story; you'd like the good guy.

What does this have to do with the Bible or with Christian life, you wonder?

It has everything to do with the perversion of the Bible.

The Bible says the following: "Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?" (2 Corinthians 6:14-15, KJV).

I have seen girls want to date guys with a known character and history that aren't good. Yet they still want to date these boys because they believe that they can change the guy. The girl wants to be the one to "rescue" the guy from his evil ways.

Can I just facepalm at this?

This NEVER works out in real life. Snap out of the delusion that a bad guy will change for you, girl. Any change that he might make will only be temporary.

Girl, you can't even save your own soul. What makes you think that you'll be able to save his?

Only Jesus can save the lost.

Not you or me.

"When Jesus heard it, he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance." -Mark 2:17, KJV

I am not saying that you do not reach out for the lost. I am not saying that you should turn your back on them.

What I am trying to say is that for Christians, we have to be careful that, in our endeavor to reach the lost, we do not compromise our own beliefs.

We love the lost, but we cannot change the basic beliefs of Christianity for them. We cannot say that sin is alright when it isn't.

We have to remember that we can only draw people to Christ by showing our love for them, and that those people cannot be saved by our love alone.

Love you all dearly.

Yours truly,
Joanna
A Minister's Daughter

2 Corinthians 6:14-15

UPDATE: I'm better now. I listen more to Christian music, and the immoral images don't come to me. Still need to work on the obsession with secular music groups, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment