Thursday, January 23, 2014

Blogging, Self-Advertising and Social Media

Dear Reader,

The other day I read a few articles about how to improve one's blog. I agreed with some points, like posting meaningful content on a regular basis (something I truly have to work on).

But the last two points made me pause. They advised me to share on various social networks on a regular basis and to aggresively promote. In other words, self-advertise.

For the record, I don't mind sharing the links to my blog posts, especially on Facebook since my family members don't actively check my blog. But I share the link for each blog post once per network when it first comes out and no more. I refuse to do more than that.

I put myself in the reader's shoes and think. I don't like to follow people who keep posting links with no explanation or conversation. In fact, I un-follow such people who just advertise their blog links day-in and day-out for every single day. I don't like people who follow/friend me just to get me to follow/friend them back (and they proceed to unfollow/unfriend after I follow/friend).

Some people would probably say that I'm being naive and childish. Maybe so.

I don't care about the number of followers I have on Twitter or the number of friends I have on Facebook or Google+. These numbers don't mean that my blog is being read.

What I care about is this. Do the words I write mean anything to those who read it? Does my blog help people? Does it glorify God and magnify His name?

It doesn't matter if my readership is small because I don't aggresively promote. If what I write matters at all, word will spread.

Let God be the one to promote my blog. Let Him be the one to admonish my words.

If only one person is affected by the blog, praise God. 

This probably sounds crazy and goes against everything taught by successful bloggers.

What do you guys think? What are your thoughts on this?

May God bless you.

Yours Truly,
Joanna

No comments:

Post a Comment